Friday, September 17, 2010

The Friday Figure

This week's Friday Figure comes from I John.   John writes:
1John 2:12     I am writing to you, little children,
        because your sins are forgiven on account of his name.
1John 2:13     I am writing to you, fathers,
        because you know him who is from the beginning.
    I am writing to you, young people,
        because you have conquered the evil one.
1John 2:14     I write to you, children,
        because you know the Father.
    I write to you, fathers,
        because you know him who is from the beginning.
    I write to you, young people,
        because you are strong
        and the word of God abides in you,
            and you have overcome the evil one.
 These verses include two figures. The first is anaphora which consists of repeating the same word at the beginning of successive clauses.  In the first triplet, each clause begins with the word γράφω (I am writing).  In the second triplet, each clause begins with the past tense of the same word, ἔγραψα (I write, I wrote).  The repetition drives these words deep into the mind of the hearer.

The second figure is that of pleonasm in which the author repeats the same thought be varies the words used to communicate it.  The second triplet mirrors the first triplet, but varies the language slightly.  Once again, repetition is used to cause these phrases to lodge in the memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment